Monday, July 25, 2011

"Feeling Blue" under "Blue Sky"

(posted in Etymology  page)
"Blue Sky"  Can we say "blue" is the color of the summer?  Or what image do you have for the color?
When I read my Dear friend Barbara's post and seeing lovely girls in blue dress at the wedding in summer time (the perfect color, don't you think). I wondered why "blue" has the meaning of "feeling depressed".  Well, maybe gray can be apposite color.  I checked about it and thought funny that this color has two opposite images.

Quote from this page      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue 
blue was related to rain, or storms, and in Greek mythology, the god Zeus would make rain when he was sad (crying), and a storm when he was angry.
The phrase "feeling blue" is linked also to a custom among many old deepwater sailing ships. If the ship lost the captain or any of the officers during its voyage, she would fly blue flags and have a blue band painted along her entire hull when returning to home port.
Conversely blue, a very popular colour[7] can represent happiness and optimism[8] as days with clearer, blue skies tend to be considered times where these emotions are more easily expressed. Many artistic contributions have been made referencing clear days with blue skies as part of the happiness or as a symbolism of the happiness the artist felt,

I know green has the image of  "young or not matured".  I wonder if there are more meaning hidden in colors in English. Anyways, summer heat DOES making me "FEELING BLUE" rather than "blue sky" image.

ps> I'm so grateful that my friends introduced me some other examples♪♪♪

"green with envy/ jealousy" or "green around the gills/ out of shape
"in the pink/ in good health"   "be tickled pink/ be amazed or pleased" 
"seeing red/ become very angry"  
"blue-blood/ someone from royalty or the aristocracy or an Old rich family" 

And last one is Ninny's explanation which I think I should put here.
If one is yellow or even green, one is really sick to the stomach. In the pink, one is feeling very happy. A healthy heart pumps red blood, but a sick heart makes the body turn blue, so I guess if we're emotionally healthy we're in the pink and if we're not emotionally healthy we're blue. The heart is synonymous with our emotions.       

12 comments:

  1. What an interesting post. I've often thought about why there are different sayings linked to the names for colors such as "green with envy," or "green around the gills" or "in the pink."
    The color blue is the only one that comes to mind to express both happiness and sadness.
    Have a lovely week and I hope that you're feeling in the pink very soon.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Orchid,

    Just look at my old post about: New York Blue me Away http://bit.ly/90EfU3
    Further I can add the meaning of the color BLUE: Protection, peace, calmness and spirituality...
    Hope you learn to cope with the blue sky feeling. Sure, in your country where there is little relief because you are conserving energy this summer, nation-wide -- it will be tough.
    May you and your people manage to cope with all the short comings and that soon better times will return for all.

    Lots of love,

    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm.... let me think of different English expression with colors...
    "feeling blue" means feeling sad,
    "seeing red" means to be very, very angry,
    a "blue-blood" is someone from royalty or the aristocracy or an "Old rich" family,
    "green with envy" - to be very envious,
    "tickled pink" - amusing
    Well, that's all I can think of right now.
    Love, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Orchid, thanks for mentioning me!
    I love learning the meaning and derivatives of words from your hobby.
    Stay cool, (((hugs))) xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hallo Orchid! Very interesting post today about 'feeling blue'. I really enjoyed it my friend. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If one is yellow or even green, one is really sick to the stomach. In the pink, one is feeling very happy. A healthy heart pumps red blood, but a sick heart makes the body turn blue, so I guess if we're emotionally healthy we're in the pink and if we're not emotionally healthy we're blue. The heart is synonymous with our emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a wonderfully interesting post!!! really got my brain moving. thanks for the mental workout!!!
    i enjoyed it so much!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank EVERONE for your comments and giving me other example♪♪♪
    I will sort these out and put them in the original post later!!!

    SO happy for all of your generosity☆☆☆

    ReplyDelete
  9. Colors are the visual expression of our emotions in art. I love blue but I don't like feeling blue. I'm sorry you are blue from the summer heat. I'm feeling it too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful comparison, Orchid. English words have so many different meanings for the same word, not to mention our "sloppy" use of slang, that it must be very difficult to learn as a second language. You are a brilliant woman! Take care my lovely friend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Orchid..I'm visiting from Teresa's blog this morning. I've scrolled through yours quickly but enough to know that you have a great blog. Always love a follower from another country to learn customs and see pictures of their homeland. Look forward to learning more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. very interesting post. different shades of blue are so pretty. thinking about blue eyes, blue skies, blue of the ocean, etc...

    pink is one of my favorite colors; purple is another. i like to wear them together.

    i hope you have a very blessed week.

    ReplyDelete