Sunday, July 21, 2013

Daruma、 達磨、ダルマ;

(posted; Japanese culture page)
From this page

 Today is the Upper House election day in Japan and it reminds me of Daruma doll.
Many politicians, at the beginning of an election period, will buy a Daruma doll, paint in one eye, and then, if they win the election, paint in the other eye. At year end, it is customary to take the Daruma doll to a temple, where it is burned in a bonfire. 

*quoting from this page*
Daruma is closely associated with a beloved Japanese proverb, Nana korobi yaoki, which states, “Fall down seven times, get up eight”. The Daruma doll's unique rounded shape allows it to return to its original position even if knocked over, representing persistence and never give up your dreams.
Bodhidharma was a Buddhist monk who lived during the 5th/6th century CE. He is traditionally credited as the transmitter of Ch'an (Zen) to China. And said to have done 9 years of zazen (sat facing a wall in meditation for a period without moving)


We fills in one eye upon setting the goal, then the other after fulfilling it later. One explanation how this custom started says that in order to motivate Daruma-san to grant your wish, you promise to give him full sight once the goal is accomplished.

Personally, I bought Daruma-san wishing to pass the first grade of the English Proficiency Test after passing Pre-First in my late 20's. Hehe, hasn't accomplished.  Now I wish him to give me more time, friends!!!  Visiting you soon
                        Posting this to "Our World Tuesday" 


22 comments:

  1. what a neat tradition and doll. i like the symbolism of continuing to get back up - and to give full sight to your deity or inspiration or whatever you choose to pray to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Miyako,
    LOVE the philosophy of falling down seven times but getting up eight times! Perseverance is being taught in a stunning way. It must have been a very clever person to create the Daruma doll!
    Thanks for sharing always meaningful cultural things with us.
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Miyako, I love the pretty doll! The proverb and meaning is so true no one should ever just give up! I hope all is well, take care and have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Daruma san! I love what it represents, nana korobi yaoki :-) It reminds me of Jomo Karuta that I played when I was small. I'm from Gunma ken and Takasaki is known for Daruma and Shorinzan Daruma Temple. え of Jomo Karuta is "engi Daruma no Shorinzan."
    As for English proficiency test, I'm sure Daruma san gives you more time because he never gives up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a good reminder to keep your goals ahead of you and finish them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always learn so much from your posts, my dear friend! I love the idea of the Daruma because it helps to keep good goals in front of us.

    I also love the Japanese culture- you are such a wonderful ambassador for your country!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful, colorful and informative post and I really enjoyed it! I worked for the Japanese company, Komatsu, here in Portland, Oregon a number of years ago and fell in love with the Japanese culture and the wonderful people that I worked with. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Miyako, thank you for sharing this tradition. We've certainly all fallen a few times and how wonderful to have this reminder to just get back up and try again. It's so important not to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, Miyako! It's a very interesting tradition and philosophy. In our lives, no matter how many times we fall, we also have opportunities to get up every time. Gives us hope to either continue or start over again. I went to Japan in 2006 and was so happy to see your beautiful country. I should've bought myself a Daruma doll - for I still dream about going back to Japan!

    Inside Cambodia

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for that peak. I hadn't heard of the dolls before.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for sharing your tradition and picture !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank-you for sharing your customs and explaining them so well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest Miyako sama!
    Nana korobi yaoki which states, pall down seven times get up eight.
    The Englich: Daruma-san proficiency test with pre-first your late 20's I think you has adovable the heron is
    Miyako san.
    We still having a raining is all the time. Hontoni yani narimasu.
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like it. I would probably have a box full of these dolls with just one eye painted in.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You passed pre-first test in your 20's.Awesome! I started challenging it with my friend. I have to study more to pass the test. I wish on a Darumasan,I wonder.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another interesting post!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have not heard any of this before and it's all very interesting.
    You always have such good things to share with us.
    I am enjoying the new grandbaby very much.
    Love & Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dearest Miyako ,

    nice to know something new from other culture. well never give up in our dream it's necessary ;)
    hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is always nice to visit your blog. I learn many things about the Japanese culture. This entry is very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never heard of a Daruma doll so thank you for telling us about them what a bloody interesting tradition

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interresting. Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete