Thursday, January 3, 2019

Our Year End and New Year & Birds;


A Happy New Year to Everyone!
I DO wish the year 2019 will be a prosperous and healthy one for all of you
In Japan, to prepare for new year, we decorate arranged flower inside of the front door. Don't you think mine is wonderfully arranged?  As I was so busy at the end of last year, I bought this beautiful one at the flower-shop. Owner is the old acquaintance of my husband's ;-)  Pine tree is the symbol of longevity and good fortune.  Link page with long explanation about it. We also decorate "Shimekazari" outside of the front door. They are for protection of the year and welcoming the Gods etc.

The two arrangements below are the ones professionally done by my husband's former lady colleague. Left is the one for this New Year. Right is the work from last summer. She kindly sends me her works sometimes.   
"賀正" means "Happy New Year" expressed by only two Chinese Characters. These are the new years decoration from the cake shop.

*Year-Crossing Soba-Noodles*
My husband makes soba noodle for our acquaintances every year. This year for 27 people ;-) We have a custom eating year-crossing soba-noodles 「年越し蕎麦」 for new year's eve dinner.  For most Japanese families, having this soba-noodle with family member quietly at home means to greet a happy next year.  "wishing to have a thin long happy life" year-crossing noodles (link page) .



*New Year’s Visit to a Shrine (hatumoude)*
 Yesterday (on 2nd), we visited Shine to do Hatumoude  (link page) .
According to the Chinese Zodiac sign, this year is the year of Boar. I was born in the sheep year. If you are interested in what year you were born, you can check yours and your character from this page.


Some days ago, I had a LUCK to take a video of male Rdstart having an itchon his face at the last scene p;-)  And the two pictures are taken on the same day.

On our way back home from the shine, I found the cold looking birds in the river. They all were shrugging their shoulders (? in japanese we use neck). 
 
And the Wagtail walking inside of the rice paddy.


Hope you all had a wonderful head start of New Year ♪
I'll see you soon after visiting some relatives people's house;

15 comments:

  1. Happy new year, Miyako san!
    Your new year decorations are beautiful. I love the flower arrangements by your husband's ex-colleague, especially the one from last summer. It must have been a lot of work for your husband to make soba noodles for so many people. Lucky them to get to enjoy homemade noodles :-) The dish looks so delicious!
    I loved the video. The part the bird scratched his face is so adorable!
    Happy year of Boar, Miyako san. I wish you and your family a wonderful 2019!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for my lateness Miyako. Happy to see you and your hubby were just as happy on New Year's day! We do not eat soba noodles (although I like them, my daughter brought me to a restaurant in southern California where they have soba), but with New Year's Eve and New Year the Dutch eat Apple doughnuts with powdered sugar on top.
    Wow, your hubby is courageous to make it for 27 people! Yes, I love the flower arrangement, but also the wonderful captures of the birds - Thank you much for sharing the with ALL Seasons! Jesh/Junieper

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have wonderful New Year traditions with flower arrangements - yours is stunning 💕 - and decorations on the front door. I think that we don't have any Finnish food traditions, of course each family have their own. In my family we eat fresh salted salmon, roe, boiled potatoes, cheese etc. a kind of Scandinavian smörgåsbord.

    Hishing you health & happiness in 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your husband made a lot of soba noodles! I think they are delicious. Thanks for linking up today and happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Miyako,
    What a lovely bird you captured on video!
    Sending you hugs for a Happy & Healthy New Year!
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely post Miyako. Wishing you all the best for 2019.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The flower arrangements are gorgeous! And I love learning about your traditions and especially the delicious meals you prepare for special occasions. Love that pretty Redstart! Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year!
    I love the photos of Redstart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We, at I'd Rather B Birdin, enjoyed your post this week...thanks for linking in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year to you! Loved the tradition of the floral arrangements and particularly loved that amazing wreath! Also wonderful photos of the birds. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miyako - a lovely post - I was entertained by the video of the bird - he seems to have quite a personality. Your flower arrangement is simple and elegant. Since we have so many pine trees around our house, I use many pine branches in my arrangements. I am happy to hear that it means longevity and good fortune! Happy New Year, and thanks for joining Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy first MosaicMonday in 2019...

    ...Hope for springtime! Wish you a very good New Year with health and lucky moments.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Miyako,
    Happy New Year. I think the floral arrangement for the new year is very pretty, and I like the symbolism of the pine branch included in it.
    The birds do look cold beside the water, but they probably fluff up their feathers and are just fine.
    Have a most wonderful 2019.

    Lorrie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Miyako, the flower arrangements are so pretty. I love all the birds, especially the Redstart. Wonderful photos and video. Happy New Year to you!
    So sorry I am late commenting. I am just back from my trip away and catching up. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day and week ahead. I also appreciate your visit and comment.

    ReplyDelete