Saturday, June 7, 2014

Color Vermilion and Seal;

 (posted; Japanese culture page)
While I was writing previous post, I wondered which word I should use for the color of the gate way to the shrine, "Vermilion" or "Orange"
from previous post

  I'd like to explain about the color "Vermilion" and how we use the seal in Japan.
Originally, the word "brightness" came from the color of the "Sun" (Vermilion "朱色、shu-iro”, yellowish red). The color red is a derivative word. (sorry if you knew about this)  And believed  that the color vermilion prevent disaster from happening and have the power against alchemy (hope the right word; and in a bad sense) 

Now this is the picture of the seals and ink "肉, shu-ni-ku". Yes, the color of the ink for the seal is also called vermilion.

The one on the left side is my registered personal seal which my late mother bought for me when I married. The other one is for the normal use. Even for delivery service, the staff put the seal for us in the receipt (like in the pic). From us, they accept both seal and sign for them though. 
Seal is the inevitable item for Japanese, we cannot open bank account without it etc. I wonder if only signing works for the official procedure in western country.


                 Thank you very much for stopping by,  

13 comments:

  1. Hello Miyako, I always thought Vermilion was more red than orange..Maybe it is my eyes..It is a lovely color.. Interesting information on the registered personal seal, I assume there is still a postage fee added also.. Thanks for sharing, have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda cor, gosto muito! Ótimo fim de semana! beijos,chica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miyako san. It feels Shu-iro is very familiar color for me. Maybe because we use Hanko so often in Japan. In the U.S., I only needed signature (and some documents ) to open bank account. There is notary seal required in some situations, though. I wonder if there are other countries that use seal like Hanko.

    Have a wonderful weekend, Miyako san!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dearest Miyako,
    Indeed it says that vermilion is a vivid bright orange-red: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/vermilion
    Talking about seals, we had lots of them in Italy while living there. They also use a stamp with seal over it! Not so much here in the USA.
    What a special gift for you after your marriage; fond memory of your Mom as well. Since you use it so frequently that makes you think of her often in a special way.
    Hugs to you and thanks for explaining about the special orange color fencing.
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  5. i liked the difference in the meaning between red and vermilion. we do not use seals, here. only signatures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Miyako, such a lovely and fascinating post. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. °❤❤彡º°。
    A cor é muito bonita.
    Post muito interessante.

    Bom fim de semana!
    Beijinhos.
    Brasil
    ✿✿° ·.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Miyako , I remember the color vermillion in boxes of crayons...it's not a common word here,but I would have known just what you meant! Artists probably use the word -- and the the color..often.

    I did not know about the seals. That is most interesting and something entirely new to me. (My new thing to learn today!)

    We will be unable to use computers for a week or so as we will be on a ferry boat to Alaska and have no internet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. loved this post!!
    no,we do not have official seal..just a signature. i do like the idea of a personal seal. what do you do if it got lost?
    such a lovely gift from your mom..a constant reminder of her love for you.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Miyako, a very interesting post, I hadn't realised the importance of seals in Japan.
    In Australia we don't use seals, our signatures, as well as personal documentation are required to open bank accounts. However, some people in positions of trust can use seals if they wish, for instance Justices of the Peace (who witness our signatures on a legal statement).
    Sallie's (FullTime-Life)comment has covered what I would say about vermillion.
    Always enlightening to read your posts. Enjoy your Sunday :D)

    ReplyDelete
  11. A personal seal sounds so cool! I wish we had that. We do have a Vermilion Flycatcher that winters in my part of Louisiana. I would say his coloring is a reddish-orange, but sometimes he is bright red---maybe during mating season.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The personal seal is interesting as it is something we don't have. How sweet that yours is a remembrance of your mom, as well as your official signature.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another interesting post.... Thank you...

    ReplyDelete