Thursday, January 3, 2013

Japanese Hagoita

 (posted; Japanese culture page)
Hello, Dear friends♪  I hope you all are having wonderful beginning of new year. It is rather colder than usual year and was shivering while visiting shrine p;)

For my new friends sake, let me paste "hagoita" topic from last year again. Sadly we don't see girls play it much any more. Adding a you-tube page of making process (it is from news program and sorry it's Japanese). 





Hagoita is a kind of racket (wooden paddles) for our one of the traditional New Year pastimes in Japan (or used to be) called hanetsuki; a badminton-like game played by girls with hagoita and a shuttlecock. In olden times, the person who missed had a mark drawn on her face with black ink for calligraphy, p;)
There are symple ones we can use for the play and the ones for the ornaments.  When I was little, my late brother played with me.  I loved the clinking sound when we hit hane (shuttlecook) with hagoita.  Nowadays, I don't see kids playing this game outside, I miss this tradition of ours with kind of nostalgic feel
ing.


Here is the quote from the pc page,
*A hagoita  is ostensibly used to play hanetsuki, but often instead serving a more ornamental purpose. These are frequently painted, usually with lacquer, with auspicious symbols, or decorated with complex silk collages. This tradition dates to the 17th century, and although the game itself is now rarely played, crafting decorative hagoita is still commonplace. 
hagoita market is held every year from December 17 to 19 on the grounds of the Sensôji temple in Asakusa, a famous shitamachi district in Tôkyô. It's a spectacular event attracting some 300,000 people, who come to buy paddles from the approximately 50 stalls selling nothing but hagoita.   link for these hagoita
hagoita & standHagoita & stand A battledore ( HAGOITA) is the doll which wishes growth of a girl from the Edo period and came to be decorated at each home.
The New Year which a baby is born, and begins and greets, and growth are wished, and grandparents, a relative, and a friend present and celebrate a battledore to a girl. The present of early spring, and marriage and new building send a battledore, and you are delighted very much at it also as a thing.
浮世絵風 イラスト

I do wish I had more time to visit you!!!  OMG, my common phrase.
See you soon♬♬♬  

14 comments:

  1. Dear Miyako,
    Lovely post, beautiful dolls :) Hope you're having a lovely Day my friend.
    Hugs,
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Miyako san,
    Hagoita o imadani tukae masu ka?
    Tanoshiku Kodomo sama to tanoshi ku enjoy with you.
    Karada ni kio tukete kudasai mase.
    We having a hot day for another five days.
    I cant playing the golfing that is too hot with me.
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Miyako,
    interesting tradition!,I love the women with kimono:)
    Happy New Year again and have a nice day
    love to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting, as always, my dear friend Miyako! I so enjoyed learning about this tradition. I hope the new year is already blessing you with abundance and prosperity, and TIME! I know exactly what you mean. Have a wonderful rest of the week~

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fantastic game and only in Japan would they make such beautifully detailed racquets! If I ever seen some in the UK, I'll buy them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i am glad the paddles are still made, even if the game is not often played. very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miyako, thank you for the lovely post. I would love to have a Hagoita for my grand-daughter. I am now looking on ebay, although the link you have shows some really beautiful Hagoita. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though the game is not often played anymore, I'm glad they are still making the beautiful paddles.
    Happy New Year to you dear Miyako!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dear Miyako. Wishing you and your hubby a very happy, healthy and blessed new year. As always, this was such an interesting post my friend. Those paddles are absolutely beautiful. I have to say that I love the culture in your country. Everything seems to beautiful. Take care and hope to see you again soon. Love & Hugs from your friend in the West. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. the wonderful traditions and the beauty that is part of them...your culture takes such great pride in this,and it's one of the many things I admire so much!!
    isn't it special to have these lovely memories of your late brother also? i'll bet you can hear the sound of your laughter and the sound of the shuttlecock as it hit the paddle!! Many things I remember about my twin..most of them good,but,she was also very bad about borrowing my clothes or books without asking first..then leave them in her room,and I'd have to go find them!! ahahaaaa!!
    Happy 2013 sweet Miyako san!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forgot about the part that person who missed got ink mark drawn on face! I guess not many people do this any more... But hagoita is very cute as an ornament. Maybe the tradition will live in this form :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dearest Miyako san,
    You have so many traditions and still there will be so many things being lost in time. Good thing is that videos and even museums do preserve most of it.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs to you sweet friend from the east,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  13. Miyako sama,
    Thank you for your lovely good news Yahari Japanes
    Omedi ta news.
    Samui Oshio gatuni tanoshi time with Your family.
    I thinking about you Miyako san!
    Michiko

    ReplyDelete