Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Plants with funny Japanese names;

*Two kinds of Cotton Rosemallow; 芙蓉, fuyo*
My friend has this two types of Hibiscus mutabilis (Cotton Rosemallow)  and taught me about the interesting differences. 

       We call this pink one "芙蓉, fuyo"
  
      We call this type "酔芙蓉, sui-fuyo" 
              The Chinese character 酔 means "get drunk" 
              It is like this type changes its color more pinkish as the day grows.
I found this color change sheet in this Japanese Wikipedia page.

*Pampas Grass, パンパスグラス* (I'll post this part to Etymology page)
I knew we have this big plant close to my house.  The other day TV happened to explain that it is commonly called "お化けススキ,obake-susuki" in Japanese.  Literally, it means 'ghost (giant) silver grass' in English. I thought it funny by the way we use the word "お化け, obake".  This can be used for the things size and the effect got increased besides real ghost.  We call big Halloween pumpkin 'obake-kabocha, ghost(giant) pumpkin'.

Sure is huge sized silver grass, p:)

Linking this post to;
                 "TODAY'S FLOWERS"  "Nature Notes" 


ps. I feel really sorry for posting this without being able to visit you much. I promise I'll be able to from this evening, my friends. See You  Later♡♡♡


13 comments:

  1. i like the bloom that gets drunk on pink. :) and i like the pampas grass, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So unusual, and I absolutely love the pampas grass. It's very common in the South US. Hugs from Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Miyako,
    Very special to turn a darker shade pink, all the way from white. Lovely photos and the example of how those colors intensify, that shows the double hibiscus mutabilis or 'Confederate Rose' as it is called here. Just scroll down here: {3 Hibiscus Varieties 'KONA' - 'CONFEDERATE ROSE' and a RED variegated}
    Yesterday when both of us walked we stood in our neighborhood to admire someone's beautiful Pampas grass. Telepathy; you blog about it today...
    Hugs,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these beautiful flowers. I think the grasses are splendid and the hibiscus have a lovely color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Miyako, the flowers are beautiful. I love the pink hibiscus and the Pampas grass is lovely, I like the way it moves in the wind.. Thanks for sharing, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Miyako, the flowers are beautiful. I love the pink hibiscus and the Pampas grass is lovely, I like the way it moves in the wind.. Thanks for sharing, have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Que maravilha isso tudo! Beleza de post e cores nas flores! bjs, chica

    ReplyDelete
  8. i like that it uses the get drunk character :) drunk in pink!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That last shot is gorgeous! I've been buying dried hibiscus for my husband who steeps it for tea. We buy it in a Mexican store, and they call it flor de Jamaica. These pinks ones are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such gorgeous flowers ! I love pink in the garden ! Greetings :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Miyako!:) Your photos are lovely!:)It's amazing how the flower changes from white to pink throughout the day. We have plenty of Pampas Grass on the farm, and I think it's very beautiful, although the leaves cut like a knife!:( We say here that it's unlucky to have it indoors for decoration, I wonder if you have the same superstition!Beijinhos:=)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Miyako! Beautiful flowers and grasses. Pink is my favorite color of flower and the color change is really interesting... Thank you for linking into Nature Notes.... Michelle

    ReplyDelete